CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Whatever

It has recently come to my attention that my vocabulary has become quite redundant. Apparently people have noticed (and alerted me) that "whatever" should be my theme word. After much consideration and careful observation I will indeed confirm that "whatever" is a word that often exits my mouth. Once I came to the realization that I said this word quite regularly I have began to embrace it. After analyzing the data I have decided that "whatever" is a quite fabulous word. It can be taken and used in so many different contexts it may be far superior to many other words. The reasons that I enjoy using it often,is when I would like to seem indecisive, non-committal, and ambiguous. If someone asks you whether or not you would like to have lunch sometime you can respond with "sure if you want or, whatever." This quick response portrays some eagerness to attend however doesn't appear overly available and needy. Another example for the use of "whatever" is when you are willing to accept any answer or object without showing favoritism or preference. Ex. "Do you want Chinese or Italian?" By answering "whatever" you are allowing the other person to help with the decision making, therefor not coming off as a bossy, opinionated, pushy person that has to have their way. :) And lastly my most favorite reason: using the word "whatever" to really annoy someone. It is great, you are in a conversation/heated discussion with someone, they are being a total ass and instead of carrying on with the ridiculous banter you just look at the person and respond with "whatever" and walk away. They are left mid sentence annoyed to realize that you have just walked out on the discussion and they have not yet "won" the argument. You now have the upper hand and didn't really have to do anything. Fabulous! It is a passive aggressive way to say "go fly a kite" without having to officially "go there" ;) So you are able to maintain your gutter free lingo without compromising your passionate feelings on the subject. Beautiful. Hopefully this has been enlightening or at least mildly entertaining. And the next time you don't want to seem over eager or don't feel like arguing without actually giving in, just respond with "whatever" and know that you have made your point with one simple word. For those of you that I often say this to; no worries it is most often just used out of habit not of malice or ambiguity.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

whatever, court.